Pinkwash, Greenwash, Hogwash: Ali Abunimah on Israel’s use of sex and marketing to distract from apartheid
On 24 June 2013, I gave a lecture titled “Pinkwash, Greenwash, Hogwash: How Israel uses sex and marketing to distract from apartheid” at the 519 Church St. Community Centre in Toronto, organized by Queers Against Israeli Apartheid (QuAIA).
I’m grateful to the members and supporters of QuAIA who recorded and edited this video of the event, including cutting in clips and images of the examples of pinkwashing that I showed during my presentation.
I also thank Benjamin Doherty who helped me curate many of the multimedia elements of my talk.
Here’s more of The Electronic Intifada’s coverage of pinkwashing. Visit QuAIA’s websiteand follow them on Twitter at @quaiaTO.
Also read this report on the event in Daily Xtra, a prominent LGBTQ publication in Canada: “WorldPride organizers concerned about ‘pinkwashing’” (27 June 2013).
For ease of reference, here are links to some of the items shown in the video:
- Getting to the bottom of marc3pax, Israel’s gay flotilla hoaxer, The Electronic Intifada, 5 May 2012.
- Israel lobby group Iran180 “sodomizes” Ahmadinejad effigy with nuke at San Francisco Pride, The Electronic Intifada, 11 June 2012.
- Video: Put A Rainbow On It
- Video: The Official Trailer For Undressing Israel: Gay Men In The Promised Land
- Video: Tel Aviv Gay Tourism: Israeli city tries to sell itself to same-sex couples and gay tourists
- Video: Fabulous Israel: Coming Soon…
- Video: SDM Presents: Tel Aviv Gay Pride 2012 (LGBTQ Pride Parade in Israel)
- Source of propaganda image shared by pro-Israel social media, falsely alleging that gay men are executed in Palestine.
- After polonium revelation, Israel’s PR hacks revive lies that Arafat was gay and died of AIDS, The Electronic Intifada, 7 April 2012.
- Video: World Pride London 2012 – No Pride in Israeli Apartheid – Gay Pride
- Harrowing video shows Israeli soldiers arresting Hebron children, The Electronic Intifada, 2 May 2013.
- Disturbing new video of Israeli Jews assaulting Africans in Tel Aviv on New Year’s Eve, The Electronic Intifada, 13 January 2013
- The dirty dozen: Israel’s racist ringleaders, The Electronic Intifada, 12 December 2013.