Tuesday, September 29

Volunteer work in Palestine


URGENTLY wanted, Care assistant for a woman with Muscular Dystrophy in Al Azzeh refugee camp in Bethlehem, Palestine
In Bethlehem, Palestine, there are three refugee camps built by the United Nations in 1948. One of those camps is the Al Azzeh Refugee camp. My name is Eklas, I am a young lady that likes to enjoy life and together with my mother we have been living here almost all of our lives in one of the houses in the camp. From birth I have had Muscular Dystrophy. I am in a wheelchair and need help with daily activities. My mother is not so young anymore and she uses a 'walker' but she is still very active. She appreciates very much if you can help her in the kitchen and you can learn some Arabic words from her. This is why I am always looking for motivated volunteers to help me.

Because of my culture I am only looking for women to help me. In spite of my disability I have the same dreams and needs as every young woman. I do not see volunteers as care givers but also as friends and people who can become part of the family. I speak Arabic, German, English and a little Swedish.


Do you have some time off and are you looking for an adventure in the Middle East?
Do you want to know more about the Palestinian-Israeli situation?
Do want to learn a new language, about a new country and a new culture?
Is taking care of somebody in a wheelchair something for you?
Do you want all your senses to enjoy the smell of Eastern herbs, to taste fine Palestinian cooking,
to experience the rhythms of Arabic music, being able to see beautiful landscape and have conversations with Palestinian people?

If so then maybe this is the experience that you are looking for.

Job Description

You will be a part of our family and you will learn about our everyday life
You will help me in the morning to wash, get dressed and put me in the wheelchair
You will help to arrange materials and the living space so that I can do some activities and I can live with some independence e.g. eating, using the computer, drawing, going on trips to see family, shops or the museum
You will be sleeping in my room and I may need help during the night
You will help my mother with the cooking and taking care of the house
Profile
Motivated volunteers who would like to help me for some months
It is possible to do this work with another volunteer, as a team
Knowledge and/or experience of people with physical disability is an advantage
Knowledge of English, German or Arabic will make communication easier
A social person who is open to learning a new language and has respect for the privacy of the family
Ability to be flexible in order to provide care during the day and night
Our offer
We offer you a unique experience in Al Azzeh Refugee Camp in Bethlehem.
Arabic lessons and knowledge about Palestine and its history
Food and board. If you stay longer than a few months then you will get some pocket money
Place of work
Al Azzeh Refugee Camp, Bethlehem, Palestine

Interested?
If you are interested you can contact me on my e-mail address: echlas2006@yahoo.com

Send me a mail with some information about yourself and I will reply as soon as possible

Additional Information
If you want additional information about life here you can check:
www.palestine-net.com
www.openbethlehem.org
www.palsolidarity.org
www.alternativenews.org
www.peacecenter.org

If you want to know more about the work itself you can make contact with these previous volunteers:
- julia.kaufmann@rechner-online.com (Germany)
- mireiabelda@hotmail.com (Spain)
- hannalisedurine@hotmail.com (France)
- nk@hotmail.com (Femke from the Netherlands)
Share:

0 Have Your Say!:

Post a Comment